Are you interested in attending another G+T Parents meeting?

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

school choices

I don't mean to be non-supportive of what Meridian is trying to accomplish with their GT programs here, but I was also wondering if any of you have looked at other schools/programs and what you found. I have been researching other information sources on gifted children and their needs and the general theory is they need a different academic program, not just a pull out in certain subjects. Along with the impending larger class sizes at Meridian I felt I owed it to myself and my kids to atleast look around. I'm curious if anyone else has also done this and what you found or thought. Thanks for any input. Sherry Carlo

2 comments:

Emily Hendrix said...

In looking at schooling options, I would recommend considering not only academics, but also things like peer group, extracurricular activities, etc.

It's also worth considering a little bit of GT philosophy, and finding out if yours matches those of the programs you're looking at. For example, do you believe that GT kids should have more homework, or just more challenging homework?

Food for thought...

Julie Solomon said...

We did look around, and my kindergartener currently goes to Rocky Mountain School for the Gifted and Creative in Boulder. We have been generally very happy with the school, both academically and philisophically. However, the commute is getting harder and harder (esp. for my 2nd grader who goes to Meridian and has to drive back and forth to Boulder every afternoon after school). Also, it is hard for my Kindergartener since all his friends live so far away. Anyway, we are likely going to move him to Meridian next year.

So, I guess I would say that I do absolutely see the value in an all gifted school, and if the drive doesn't bother you I would recommend checking out Rocky Mountain School. But I am not sure that it is quite worth it right now for us.