Are you interested in attending another G+T Parents meeting?

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Next GT Parent Meeting - May 7th

A few changes since I posted earlier today - all changes are in red.
Please respond if you plan to attend, and also to add your agenda topics.

Hi everyone -

There seemed to be interest in the parents getting together for another meeting, so let's do it!

Let's plan on meeting:
Date:
Wed May 14th, 6:30-8pm
Location: Kristen and Kevin Kelly's house

Thanks to the Kellys for offering their house to hold the meeting. We moved the date because of a 3rd grade school event I was not aware of. More details will be coming.

The school (actually the district) charges to use Meridian for meetings. I don't know how much, but I have a call into the district contact.

We have a tentative meeting place at the Broadlands Golfcourse for this date. The manager there was willing to give us a deep discount, but it would still be $50 for the space (versus the $250-300 normal fee). If we split this it would be maybe $5 or less per family. I don't like the idea for long term, but perhaps just to get us started.

I have left messages at my church and the community center, and will continue to check around for
free spaces. If anyone has ideas, let me know. Or if anyone has enough space in their home, and would be willing to host, that would be great.

Please post topics you would like to discuss, and I will put together an agenda.

I hope to see you all then.

Diane Sandstrum

4 comments:

Heather (Witt) Brown said...

I think the library does not charge a fee for a meeting room - we used it once for an HOA meeting. This was Westminster.
Heather

SusanF said...

Are we sure that we would be charged my Meridian to have a GT meeting there? Since there will be a direct benefit to GT programming at Meridian by having an active group of parents, it seems odd that we would be assessed fees for using meeting space. I could understand if we were a separate community group like a hobby club, but this seems directly linked to the educational opportunities at Meridian. Have we been told definitively that we would need to pay? By whom?
Susan

Jim and Diane Sandstrum said...

Susan -
I agree that it seems strange to be charged... I checked with the front desk at Meridian and told them the GT Parent group was looking for space. She said all reservations go through the district, and there is a fee. I questioned it a couple times as I was surprised. I still haven't talked to the district contact, as she is out for a few days. Hopefully they will have concessions for a group like ours. I will update you when I find out more.

Is anyone involved in PTO - do they also get charged for meetings?
diane

lbcrosby said...

I wanted to confirm the location of this meeting. This blog says it will be at someone's house while the e-mail I received says it will be at the library.

Lori